HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM THE TURNIP TRUCK
Entertaining family and/or friends this holiday season? Let us prepare your holiday dinner for you. Pre-order your side dishes by 3pm Saturday, December 21st. You can download the order form here and fax them in or turn in to any of our managers or cashiers.
Both Turnip Truck stores will be closed on Wednesday, December 25th so that our employees can enjoy Christmas Day with their friends and families. We will reopen on Thursday, December 26th at the usual time.
LOCAL GIFT IDEAS FOR HOLIDAY GATHERINGS…
Many of us end up spending more of our hard-earned dollars this time of year- either because of gift-giving or entertaining friends and family during the holidays. Whatever the reason, it is a good time to be mindful of where your dollars will end up. Why not help support our local economy while marking things off your busy holiday lists. This year, give the gift of healthy options while supporting your local retailer, farmers, and artisans! Here are a few suggestions for local gift and entertaining ideas available at The Turnip Truck…
1. Turnip Truck gift cards make the ultimate local holiday gift! You can purchase those from any of our cashiers at either location.
2. A basket of local cheeses- The Turnip Truck carries a selection of local and regional cheeses such as goat cheese from Bonnie Blue Farms in Waynesboro, TN and Noble Springs Dairy in Franklin, TN. We also have cow’s milk cheese from Sweetwater Valley Farm in Philadelphia, TN, Sweet Grass Dairy in Thomasville, GA, and Kenny’s Farmhouse Cheese in Barron County, KY. We also carry many varieties of crackers; local artisan bread from Bella, Silke’s, Twin Forks Farm, Great Harvest, or Provence; regional Olli salame from Virginia; local honey; and organic fruit to help complete the gift. Or if you are entertaining friends or family, all of this can be made into an extraordinary local cheese plate. We also have wonderful local pickled vegetables from Somewhere Place Else Farm that make a great accompaniment.
3. Put together a Sunrise Package for a healthy start to the day- We have locally made Blue Chair Granola in our bulk section or Haulin’ Oats mason jars filled with oatmeal blends. Pair these with Hatcher Family Dairy Milk and some of our locally roasted coffee beans from Bongo Java, Drew’s Brew, or Just Love Coffee for a special Tennessee Breakfast Basket! Or, impress your out-of-town guests with a complete breakfast buffet by adding local Nashville Jam Company jams, local honey, eggs and bread! Feeling lazy? You can bring them to our store in the Gulch for a breakfast sandwich or weekend buffet brunch.
4. Locally made chocolates and treats- We carry Olive & Sinclair chocolates which are made in East Nashville and have garnered national press. They are delicious! Also available for the holidays, we have Bang Candy Company’s handmade marshmallows in several varieties, as well as Nashville Toffee Company’s toffee in milk or dark chocolate, Living Raw Chocolate Truffles, or Colts Bolts chocolates made in the Gulch neighborhood!
5. Hostess Gifts- Local handmade condiments and salsas make great hostess gifts. We carry a local spice blend from Rhino Rub and local BBQ sauces from Glenn’s Gourmet Foods. We also have local pasta sauce from Caffe Nonna. East Nashville’s own, Toney Jones of Toney’s Naturals, makes excellent salsas. The Turnip Truck also sells housemade hummus in four different flavors. And brand new to our store, we have locally made new tortillas and tortilla chips from Tortilleria Santo Niño de Atocha.
6. Another favorite holiday treat is Egg Nog- We have local Hatcher Family Dairy Egg Nog. Hatcher milk makes excellent hot chocolate, too. Another local tip for hot chocolate- Olive & Sinclair Mexican Chocolate Bar makes yummy Mexican hot chocolate!
7. Local Beverages- At our store in the Gulch, you will find a selection of local and regional beer. Both stores carry local and regional Kombucha varieties- Booch and Cumberland Valley Kombucha from Nashville and Buchi from Asheville. And new to our store, for the Bloody Mary lover, Walker's Bloody Mary Mix!
8. Local Candles- At both stores, we have a variety of locally made candles from Alchemy of Sol, Thistle Farms, and Salt & Light.
9. Local body care- We carry lotions and soaps from Thistle Farms, TruBee Honey, and Alchemy of Sol as well as hair and body care from regional favorites Essence Tree from Georgia. And new to the store is House Blend Organics from Franklin, TN. They make body washes and balms.
And, be sure to check out LOCAL DIRECTORY page to find out all of the local products we currently carry at The Turnip Truck.
HOLIDAY STRESS SURVIVAL GUIDE
Social commitments, family squabbles, over-indulgence, and financial strain are often major challenges for the body during the holiday season, both physically and emotionally. Everyone has their own strategy for coping with holiday stress. Some distract themselves with sweets. Some numb their mind with alcohol. Many resort to over the counter sleep aids and pain relievers. So many of us, though, just grit our teeth and march on like seasoned warriors, eventually entering the New Year a bit frazzled and slightly exhausted. Fortunately, nature provides us with many healthy alternatives and effective solutions for holiday stress.
First off, we have several great supplements to help keep our body’s immune system built up. One suggestion is PROBIOTICS. We have several great brands of probiotics. Ask our supplement expert to help you find the best one for you.
BLACK ELDERBERRY SYRUP
For Immune Support
Another great immune system builder is Gaia’s Black Elderberry Syrup. Black Elderberries have been used for centuries for their immune supportive properties by many different cultures. Gaia Herbs uses Certified Organic European Black Elderberries to create a juice concentrate that provides the equivalent of 14,500 mg of fresh elderberries per serving. This tasty syrup also includes natural Vitamin C from Acerola cherries. It contains no artificial flavors or colors, no preservatives, and no high fructose corn syrup.
HOLY BASIL to the rescue!
Stress & Cortisol Support
Stress can be devastating to the human body. Frustration, anxiety, and insomnia are short term symptoms from stress. Left unchecked stress can contribute to high blood pressure, increased risk of stroke / heart attack, diabetes, ulcers, low back / neck pain, etc. In fact, 90% of all illnesses are caused or aggravated by stress according to the National Institute of Health.
One of the most promising solutions to stress lies within an herb called Holy Basil or Tulsi. Its history dates back over 5,000 years and it has been used by several ancient systems of medicine including Ayurveda, Greek, and Roman.
Holy Basil's medicinal properties are quite impressive. Holy Basil has been reported to:
*Reduce stress and cortisol levels better than almost any other herbal or nutritional remedy
*Supports a healthy immune system
*Modulate Cox-2 inflammatory enzymes
*Increase Physical & Emotional endurance
*Aid weight loss by Reducing Cortisol
*Modulate normal blood sugar levels
*Reduce cravings for sweets
Holy Basil is also a great anti-oxidant for the body and supports healthy aging. As an adaptogen, Holy Basil is often recommended to be used for 3 to 6 months to help achieve balance and harmony in one's life.
Relief from Gas, Bloating, Indigestion
The Holidays are full of social events and festivities. Most of these events usually revolve around food, and lots of it! Unfortunately, the over-consumption of these sugary and fat-laden temptations often leads to painful tummy aches and bloating. This can really ruin a good time. Digestive enzymes can help in situations like these.
So, what are enzymes? Enzymes are biologically active proteins that act as catalysts to speed up biochemical reactions. Digestive enzymes work to extract nutrients from our food in order to create energy for our bodies. Digestive enzymes reduce our food to a liquid form that our bodies can understand and absorb. These enzymes also help us eliminate waste, toxins and other debris from our bodies.
Raw, unprocessed foods like freshly harvested fruits and vegetables are naturally rich in enzyme activity and therefore easy to digest. However, most of the food that we consume is cooked and processed, leaving the food with little to no enzyme activity. Taking digestive enzymes with your meal allows you to absorb more nutrients from your food and will lessen the unpleasant symptoms of gas and bloating that can result from improper digestion.
The Turnip Truck carries high quality digestive enzyme supplements, like Enzymedica, which provide almost immediate results. There are several varieties to choose from so ask a Turnip Truck staff member for guidance.
LIVER TAKE CARE
Protection & Support for Your Liver
We all know that the over-consumption of alcohol is quite unhealthy. However, drinking a beverage or two at the holiday party can certainly lighten the mood and make for a much better time. In situations like this where alcohol is consumed it's important for us to remember our liver, the organ downstairs that is working overtime to help keep us afloat.
The Liver is responsible for much more than alcohol. Every compound we eat, drink, touch, and even breathe, is processed in the liver. In today’s toxic world, it’s more important than ever to support this critical detoxification organ. Fortunately, nature provides us with powerful botanicals that help nourish and protect the liver so it can do its job. For truly holistic liver support try Liver Take Care, a Whole-Food formula that not only nourishes the liver but also supports hormonal balance and protection from environmental toxins, like BPA and heavy metals. This is gentle enough to be taken every day!
And, don’t forget the four-legged family members! The holidays can be stressful for all. We have Bach Rescue Remedy for pets. This can helped with anxiety from out-of-town guests, different schedules and routines, or neighborhood fireworks.
Come in and speak with one of our supplement experts to find out what will work best for you. We have so many different options and products to choose from to help you ease the stress in your life.
NEW WHOLE FOOD VITAMINS: MEGAFOOD
A new product spotlight by one of our supplement experts, Marjorie Barroll
Let's see ... there's one, two, three. Whoa, wait! What's that? The Turnip Truck has three whole food vitamins? That's right, now along with New Chapter and Garden of Life you will find a third high quality whole food vitamin, MegaFood. In fact, MegaFood is the premiere whole food supplement company.
Forty years ago, in 1973, Carl E. Jackson launched MegaFood in Derry, New Hampshire. His concept, which also became his promise, was to provide the most authentic nourishment from fresh whole foods in supplement form, not just vitamins alone. At this juncture Carl faced a challenge, how to best capture the vital nutrition of a farm fresh food and deliver it in a glass bottle.
To make his concept a reality Mr. Jackson sought out a team of scientists from the University of New Hampshire. Together they developed scientifically validated methods of crafting FoodState Nutrients using fresh whole produce. To date, MegaFood has over 30 unique FoodState Nutrients, each with its own recipe to ensure that optimal levels of specific vitamins or minerals are delivered. Although the recipes are a trade secret, the process is not.
The products are crafted using farm fresh produce from MegaFood Farm Partners, trusted family owned farms that employ ethical and organic farming methods, who harvest at the peak of ripeness and deliver directly to MegaFood. During this period the produce is tested for quality and purity. No GMO's, pesticides, or herbicide-laden produce is accepted. They also do not accept produce whose nutrient content is sub-standard.
Once the produce is cleared for use, it is cold-milled. This process breaks down plant fibers, making the end product more bioavailable. After the produce finishes this phase it enters MegaFood’s one-of-a-kind Slo-Food process, using a RWD Dryer. No other company in the industry uses this method. In fact, this technology is the same used by the US Military, and one of only three RWD Dryers in existence. Now MegaFood owns two of these dryers while the government still retains the third.
Not to be confused with regular dehydration, this one-of-a-kind dryer slowly and gently extracts the moisture out of the cold-milled produce. The end result at this stage is a thin sheet of food with 3 to 5% moisture content that still maintains it's fresh food nutrient content according to third party university studies. No other method of preserving fresh garden ripe produce retains nearly as much of the fresh color, taste, or even nutritional value as this method, not even freeze drying. Once powdered, the dried produce is ready to be blended into specific supplement formulas before being tableted using a heat free process. MegaFood differs from the other two major whole food supplements in two areas. First, they source more farm-fresh foods than any other supplement company. Second, MegaFood is the only company to make their own FoodState nutrients, even their own saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is, in part, because of these unique differences that Dr. Andrew Weil decided to partner with MegaFood in 2012 as an advisor for new supplement formulation as well as being active in the education program.
Whether you decide to stick with your current favorite vitamin or try a MegaFood whole food vitamin, rest assured that The Turnip Truck offers quality choices that will fill your need. But keep in mind that MegaFood also has some unique formulas that may fit your needs, like their Medi-Safe vitamin that is safe for people who have to avoid nutrients such as iron, iodine, copper and vitamin K. Two other examples of their one-of-a-kind whole food products are their Vision Strength and their Skin, Nails, & Hair formulas. They even have a kid’s vitamin that is completely sweetener free. An award winning and top selling product is the Blood Builder. Just talk to one of the supplements staff at The Turnip Truck if you would like to order one of these unique formulas. And by the way, the next time you are in the vitamin isle at The Turnip Truck and you begin to count one...two...well, go ahead and take a look at three. You may be as impressed with Mega Food as you are with New Chapter and Garden of Life.